Spokes failure is the most common maintenance issues affecting road cycling wheels for many cyclists. Tackling this problem quickly become a priority in our effort of completely redesigning wheels. Spokes are central in making sure that the structure of a wheel maintains its rigidity. Causes of their failures include imperfect alignment, an incorrect amount of tension because of improper setup or loss during normal use.
To create the SAS technology we have drilled an hemispherical groove in the hub flange and added a ball shaped washer placed underneath the spoke head. This design allows spokes to perfectly align from the hub flange to the rim increasing their ability to withstand tension loads, maintaining the shape of the wheel at lower tension and decreasing the risk of wheel failure.
Major benefits of the SAS technology include higher stiffness which maximises power transfer, higher durability, lower risk of broken spokes and an improved riding experience, especially on fast corners. Our tests have demonstrated an ability of KRU wheels to reach very extreme lean angles at corners
- The design allows spokes to perfectly align from the hub flange to the rim supporting higher tension
- Higher wheel performance in terms of stiffness and stability
- Greater durability of the spokes, less maintenance required
- Faster average speed while riding corners
- Higher maximum corner lean angle (more than 45°)